There is a healing that happens when a veteran receives our nation’s thanks and gratitude, Maj. General Peter Aylward explained on Wreaths Radio. Beginning last month and continuing through the summer, Indiana celebrates its WWII and Vietnam War veterans. Just a few of the many events include:
- The City of Fishers held an outdoor ceremony to honor Vietnam War veterans at the Nickel Plate District Amphitheater.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs held a free gift event for Viet Nam veterans in the Scottish Rite Cathedral parking lot in Indianapolis
- Hot Rods & Heroes fundraiser for Veterans (Indianapolis)
Salute to Veterans Gold Outing – Vincennes, IN
- 3rd Annual Veterans of Valor Event/Concert – Crown Point, IN
- Elks 484 Veterans Outing – New Castle, IN
In addition to these festive and commemorative events, there are “Stand Downs” nationwide. These are one to three -day events during which VA staff and volunteers provide food, clothes, and health screenings to homeless and at-risk veterans.
One very special Indiana project is called the Indiana Vietnam Veterans Gift, a collaboration with the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs and Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans. Veterans are able to order a free gift, which will be hand delivered to them by community partners and Veterans officers. The gift includes:
- a hardbound book A Time to Honor: Stories of Service, Duty, and Sacrifice (with a paired, expanded digital book version)
- the feature documentary The Journey Home
- an interactive eBook with hundreds of Indiana stories
Advising veterans and their surviving spouses is an important part of our law practice at Rebecca W. Geyer & Associates. We want to be sure veterans are aware of the many benefits available through the government, including education programs, job search and training resources, home loans, pension and survivor benefits, and help ensure veterans’ estate planning documents are in order.
2021 marks the 50th anniversary of the VietNam War, a time to recognize and thank Vietnam Vets and their families for their service and sacrifice during one of the longest wars in our country’s history. But every year, we at Geyer Law are focused on helping veterans and their families understand – and claim – the benefits they so deserve.
– by Ronnie of the Rebecca W. Geyer & Associates blog team